Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Journey Continues...and oh yea, I'm exhausted!

After a long day of working, I finally have the opportunity to sit down on my pink sheets and update my blog. These last few months have really flown by.  I feel like I just landed when in fact the new orientation group arrived last week!  I feel like someone knocked me out and I can't remember anything.  I can't get over the fact that it happened-so-fast!!  For that I am thankful that time doesn't seem to creep along here.  I've been sick for the better part of two weeks, and I'm limping to the finish line of the term, but I've finally made it.  Yes, I have finished my 1st term at the Seongbuk Institute in Seoul.  I have grown in so many ways over the term.  The students have taught me much about how to teach English more effectively, how to communicate with sounds (lol), and yes, even how to speak a little Korean.  


I now know that I am spoiled for life when I go back to the States.  My students consistently say that I am handsome, good looking, a good teacher, that I have nice teeth, etc...point is, I get so many compliments.  So rightfully so, I can't say that my self-esteem has ever been higher ha-ha.  I was feeling pretty good about myself until the last two days...


My last two weeks have been a real whirlwind.  The term was winding down and there were many different things that needed to be done; especially over the last two days.  I have had to do the tedious job of adding all the attendance and grade records into the computer system so that final grades could be tallied.  With this comes the revelation that some students needed to be repeated (failed).  Gosh!  That's the last thing I want to do!  Deliver bad news.  Most people know I hate conflict or uncomfortable situations, but I just had to bite the bullet and deal with it.  Each time as I would pull a student aside, the disappointment would sweep across their face as quickly as the cold weather just swept across Korea (which is extremely fast, lol).  Obviously they are disappointed because they've studied and worked so hard to pass the class.  Some understood that they needed more practice and others just didn't seem to get why they couldn't go to Level 3.  It's safe to say that maybe I'm no longer the "nice" teacher they thought I was.  Anyway, I felt really terrible repeating the students and then having to tell them to their face...boo!  I think up to this point, that has been the most difficult thing I've had to do, and that's saying a lot.  Either way, as much as those students were bummed they didn't pass, the others were on the other end of the spectrum!  Some would say..."teacher, realLY?!"  They would have a really high pitched really (mostly women) and I couldn't help but chuckle.  


So today, the last day of the term, we had Party Day.  It is an optional day for students to come play games, eat, and just hang out with the teacher.  Students brought all different kinds of Korean junk food and even some healthy food.  We had donuts, crackers, bread, subway sandwiches, sweet potato, watermelon, persimmons, tangerines, tok (rice something...), and some other things I can't remember the names of.  We had a great time playing 20 questions, 2 truths 1 lie, and even DUTCH BLITZ!  I took pictures of my morning classes, but I had to use my computer because I forgot my camera.  



Now the 5th term of 2010 is over.  I will be on vacation until next Tuesday when the 6th term begins.  I will have new students, new levels, and new challenges.  I'm looking forward to meeting a new group of students.  While I'm physically drained and exhausted, it was all worth it.  I thank God for keeping me through the term and for giving me continued strength.  Now if I can just make until December 24th...Bangkok, Thailand here I come!  I will attempt to get some tropical weather for my holiday this year =)  Thank you for your continued thoughts and prayers...

Some of my 10 AM class

A small portion of my 7 AM class
Two 11 AM students posing for the picture


6 comments:

  1. Awww I'm sorry you've been sick \: Hope it goes away FAST! And.. "tok" is actually "dduk" and it's a word for a variety of rice cakes [;

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes of course. Thanks Ji...dduk it will be :p I had never seen it spelt before so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah...my English has been gradually getting worse lol. My bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh I am so jealous you are going to Thailand!! Michelle and I were going to go but then she went and bailed on me :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you could still go Sarah! Brian bought a ticket Friday and he's going for like a week.

    ReplyDelete