Monday, September 27, 2010

Some more randomness

Time is going by so fast!  I don't have time to regularly update my blog.  Anyway, not much has happened since the last time I posted.  I've really been enjoying myself though.  I spend time with students every weekend.  Either on a Saturday night or a Sunday afternoon, but I make sure to spend time with them outside of class.  This mission is about building relationships and becoming friends and that's exactly what I'm trying to do.  I finally got a cell phone on Saturday night and now my co-workers and especially my students can contact me.  A cell phone is really helpful here because it has a map of the subway system and it's very difficult to spot people in the crowds of thousands that are always roaming around the city.

There are so many people here!  HAHAHA...really all I can do is laugh because it is kind of absurd.  The Koreans here have stated on numerous times that there are too many people here.  It seems like everywhere is crowded i.e. subways, buses, streets, sidewalks, malls, coffee shops, etc...It is definitely interesting to be a part of this culture.

We had Korean thanksgiving (Chuseok) last week for 3 days and I was able to spend that time with my foreign friends.  We had an American Thanksgiving gathering and there were about 15 of us in total.  It was nice to be around native English speakers and have "adult" conversation lol...Side note, if you ever have questions about the culture or my life here, feel free to ask questions in the comment section.

I received my first care package from the U.S. today...THANKS MOM!!  It has lots of goodies and useful things.  I'm not homesick yet, because I'm so use to going off to college, but I am frustrated by the inability to find things that I really want.  And even if those things are here, I don't know how to read the signs or even how to ask just yet, so I really need to stop slacking on learning the language.  It seems like I learn a new word or phrase everyday but they aren't the most useful for what I need at this point in time.

Anyway, things are continuing to go well here.  Thanks for all the support from my blog readers and well wishers from around the globe.  Your thoughts and prayers go a long way.  Until next time...

P.S. Pictures can be found on Facebook!

2 comments:

  1. How are you going about learning the language? By watching Korean TV, Rosetta Stone, sitting and listen, or just asking students about how to say certain words or phrases? Also, do you plan to READ Korean characters as well? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully by talking to students about the language and then of course by studying my Korean book. Hopefully that will help. I learn about a word or two per day so...

    ReplyDelete